[cabfpub] Draft Ballot 185 - Limiting the Lifetime of Certificates

Geoff Keating geoffk at apple.com
Sat Feb 4 00:35:13 UTC 2017

> On Feb 3, 2017, at 3:00 PM, Ryan Sleevi via Public <public at cabforum.org> wrote:
>
> To recap and refresh - the significant challenge reported was due to the long-lived nature of the certificates meaning that disabling SHA-1 - thus protecting the ecosystem - would and did cause considerable impact.

Weren’t most of the long-lived certificates that caused problems those issued before the current limit of ~3 years?  In particular:

- A 10-year certificate issued right before the BRs were adopted would expire 30 June 2022
- A 5-year certificate issued when special circumstances were allowed, could expire 31 March 2020
- The no-SHA-1 requirement came into force January 2015, and may have been a little rushed (or, really, should have been done sooner so that the hurry wasn’t necessary)

So it seems to me this point is addressing a problem that has already been mostly solved; there’s a big difference between waiting 7 years to do something, and being able to do it in 3 years.  As we’ve seen, it appears that once you’re down to about 2 years, the limiting factor is not certificate expiry but getting the rest of the Internet to catch up.

As for revocation, I believe it is a problem that can be solved, and even if it can't, it does not really motivate a reduction to 1 year; you would need to go to 1 week or similar.  This is a much longer discussion than I can have here.

That said, I would be interested in a reduction from ~3 years to ~2, unifying the BRs and the EV guidelines.  It seems like the 2-year period in EV is something that certificate users can cope with, and it would eliminate a reason not to adopt EV.  It would also have worked fine for the SHA-1 case.