[cabfpub] Draft Ballot 185 - Limiting the Lifetime of Certificates

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Feb 3 09:47:50 UTC 2017

On 03/02/17 09:20, Robin Alden wrote:
> We are not trying to prove a prepositional logic problem.  We are
> discussing the real world. Your careful wording suggests to me that
> you already appreciate that there are multiple factors at play.

I agree there are multiple factors at play; that's my point. It seemed
that several people were using the more simple causal reasoning that I
am warning against.

> argue a strong one. You cannot use the fact that a bulk buy attracts
> a discount, coupled with an inference drawn from the aether that all
> customers are motivated solely by price, to unequivocally deny that
> the popularity of 2 or 3 year certificates suggests that there is a
> demand for certificates valid for > 13 months.

Right. And I'm not doing that. There are clearly advantages from a
customer perspective, other than price to longer-lived certificates.
Convenience when the cert has to be installed manually is clearly an
advantage for the customer. The question that raises is whether that
customer is best served by having a system where their certs have to be
installed manually. And also, customer convenience cannot be the only
factor; if it were, we would still be issuing 5 and 10-year certificates.

Gerv