[cabfpub] Ballot 183 was approved

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Fri Feb 10 06:57:37 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi at google.com> wrote:

> One thing we've heard reiterated time and time again - from Baden, to
> Scottsdale, to Seattle - is that "Ben as a Service" isn't a system that
> scales. I appreciate you calling attention to the fact that all members can
> help out - but I'm suggesting your proposal, at present, is impractical and
> unworkable. A hackathon among the technically minded folks would seek to
> simplify that as much as possible (automation), and collaboratively develop
> documentation and guidance so that it can hopefully be easily understood
> and followed by the non-technically minded folks. Such an outcome would,
> hopefully, allow Ben a bit more freedom to rest and relax :)

I suppose one aspect I haven't well captured, there is technical work to be
done (automation), but there is non-technical work to be done as well -
such as offering feedback on the proposed process and tooling and making
sure it's clear and understandable.

If it helps any, think of it as a "Subcommittee that lasts for one day" -
the term hackathon is meant to convey that it's a sprint towards a set of
specific goals in a collaborative environment, focused on a particular
problem, but that it's also a temporary and time-bounded activity. That's
not to say we'll solve everything right away, but it's trying to eschew
process (such as 'formal meetings on the 3rd tuesday of every lunar month')
and instead focus on results in a collaborative - and real time - space.