[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL]Re: ]RE: Ballot 194 - Effective Date of Ballot 193 Provisions is in the VOTING period (ends April 16)

Eric Mill eric at konklone.com
Mon Apr 17 02:16:35 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 9:40 PM, Kirk Hall <Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com>
wrote:

> Eric, look again at the rule:
>

> *** All voting will take place via the Public Mail List. Votes not
> submitted to the Public Mail List will not be considered valid, and will
> not be counted for any purpose.
>

> In this case, Microsoft’s vote did take place “via the Public Mail List”.
> It’s vote was submitted “to the Public Mail List”.

While maybe you could say it was "submitted to" the list (though I think
that is questionable), it didn't take place "via" it. It took place via
Kirk's inbox, which eventually then made it to the public list.

> To be hyper technical, the Bylaw does not say the vote must APPEAR on the
> list during the voting period (just that the vote must occur), and any
> number of things can prevent a message to the Public list from being
> forwarded – I have had my messages trapped or even disappear before.

If the mailing list software was screwing up, that'd be a bit different.
However, this was straightforward user error on a significant vote by a
long-time member.

> I think it’s unfortunate that we are parsing the Bylaws so closely as this
> – this has always been an informal organization, and getting hung up on
> interpretations is a waste of time.

I understand and agree that it's unfortunate. I am just sharing my personal
opinion as a non-voting member, but I think given all the effort that was
just put into ensuring that the Bylaws describe a defensible and precise
voting process, and given the clear plain language intent of the Bylaws,
it's worth being a stickler and enforcing member discipline on something as
fundamental as publicly attributable voting.

-- Eric

--
konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>