[cabfpub] Ballot 190: Domain Validation

Geoff Keating geoffk at apple.com
Thu Apr 13 23:49:30 UTC 2017

> On Apr 11, 2017, at 1:46 PM, Jeremy Rowley via Public <public at cabforum.org> wrote:
>
> This provisions of Ballot Section 1 will apply only to the validation of domain names occurring after this Ballot 190’s effective date.  Validation of domain names that occurs before this Ballot’s effective date and the resulting validation data may continue to be used for the periods specified in BR 4.2.1 and EVGL 11.14.3 so long as the validations were conducted in compliance with the BR Section 3.2.2.4 validation methods in effect at the time of each validation.

I have to say, I find this confusing too.  ‘validation data’ to me sounds like not the same thing as ‘validation’—I would think ‘validation data’ is the raw results of the validation (“The user clicked on a link with a code of XXXX which was the same code we sent the user”) and not the conclusion (“so the user controls the domain”).

In any case what I think we would like is that, as of the effective date, you can still use validation data from before but only to the extent that it complies with the new requirements?