[cabfpub] Ballot 194 – Effective Date of Ballot 193 Provisions

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Mon Apr 10 15:48:32 UTC 2017

Ryan,

Ballot 194 allow for a temporary roll-back on the use of certificate data (back to 39 months) until March 1, 2018. No other changes are being included.  The “security” reverts back to what it was prior to the ballot and we’re not introducing any loopholes or new Renewal processing.

Here are a couple of challenges the CAs face:

-        Updating all managed service Org and Domain information that is older than 27 months is a big task.  We normally do this at some point just before expiration (prior to 39 months), but now we need to do an entire year’s worth of customer data in a month.  That’s a big task.

-        For all certificates we’ve issued, we typically like to allow customers to receive replacements (reissue).  Since the BRs, unlike the EVGLs, do not have a concept of reissue, CAs are forced to 1) disable reissue after 27 months of cert validity for customers with 3-year certificates, 2) come up with a process by which reissues go through the initial reverification process again, or 3) keep updating all cert data proactively for all customers for all orders so that none of them is ever older than 27 months.

Given enough time, neither of these are big problems.  The issue is doing them in a month.

I won’t comment on GlobalSign detailed product plans, but we’ll be compliant by April 22nd one way or the other.  Our customers are hating us already, but that’s life.  Having the ability to re-use the data for 39 months will help  relieve some of the pain even if it comes a month after ballot 194 becomes effective.

When March 1 comes around, I have no issues with 27 month cert data or max validity periods, although having the concept of reissue would be significant benefit.  We’ll probably  ballot the concept of reissue in the BRs later this year to align with the EVGL concepts where you can reissue a certificate using the original cert data as long as the DN and expire date do not change.  It was in a draft of 193 but got removed.

Doug