[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL] Brazilian bank DNS heist

Eric Mill eric at konklone.com
Mon Apr 10 11:57:36 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Ryan Sleevi via Public <public at cabforum.org
> wrote:

> That's just a press summary of what Bruce linked.
>
> It sounds like folks don't understand Ivan's criticisms or the problems
> with HPKP. Since this list is primarily targetted towards CAs, I encourage
> you to reach out to Ivan (or if he still lurks) about how CAs could make
> HPKP more viable, if they're interested. I've already described how CAs are
> uniquely qualified to provide that assistance. It's the lack of that
> assistance that has created the significant risks. That's not something
> Gerv or Jody and I can solve - that's on CAs.
>
> This is no different than, for example, CAs needing to disclose what CAA
> domains they accept, as otherwise, CAA cannot be (effectively) used.

To try and sum up what I think Ryan is saying, CAs could use HPKP to
achieve the same effect as an "EV-Only" pin if CAs each publicly published
and maintained the hash of their public keys that correspond to EV-only
issuing CAs, for customers to rely on.

Then a customer who doesn't wish to pin to a small set of CAs or end entity
certs, out of fear of bricking themselves, could construct an "EV-only" set
of pins that encompassed all publicly trusted EV-issuing CAs. The technical
risks would be similar than a hypothetical "EV-only" pinning standard, and
require no further effort on the part of browsers.

The primary issue for server operators is that that server operators would
need to keep their pins up to date as the set of EV-only issuing CAs
change, but I would think that that rate of change might be manageable, and
even a fairly out-of-date set of pins would still leave ample breathing
room to migrate CAs if an issue occurs.

The primary issue for CAs is that you'd really want to coordinate to put
these in one place, and maintain an authoritative "EV-only" set of pins for
server operators to refer to. It wouldn't be reasonable to ask interested
server operators to hunt it all down and construct the pins themselves, and
wouldn't be effective -- people would make mistakes and then blame the CAs.

This is the sort of thing I'd think that CAs and groups invested in EV,
such as the CA Security Council, might promote. If the market is actually
interested in the concept of "EV-only" pinning, this would be a great way
to demonstrate it.

-- Eric

--
konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>