[cabfpub] CAA concerns (and potential solutions)

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Oct 28 14:48:35 UTC 2016

On 28/10/16 15:28, Tim Hollebeek via Public wrote:
> There also appeared to be a misunderstanding on the call that the CAA
> spec requires bottom up checking in order to adhere to the requirements
> of the spec, and this would preclude checking the top element first.
> This is false.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6844/?include_text=1 :

   "The search for a CAA record climbs the DNS name tree from the
   specified label up to but not including the DNS root '.'."

I agree that in one sense that only says which records you look at in
which order, not what order you fetch the candidate records in...

Gerv