[cabfpub] Allowing SHA-1 OCSP and CRL signatures past 2016

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Wed Oct 26 15:40:16 UTC 2016

Helpful suggestion, Gerv - thanks.

On the question of whether our change of processes to comply with our IPR Policy must be complete and immediate, I think about the prayer of the St. Augustine who was trying to mend his ways: "Oh Lord, make me pure, but not yet."  

After years of not following the exact procedures of our IPR Policy, we have decided to pause new Guidelines changes that are not time critical in order to get our existing Guidelines in order.  That process will be complete by about Jan. 7, and new Maintenance Guidelines can then be approved by about Feb. 15.  Unfortunately that is too late for Wayne's amendment which needs to be approved by Dec. 31 to prevent CAs from being out of compliance with current BR 7.1.3.  It seems everyone agrees that Wayne's amendment makes sense.

So how about this as an alternate plan?

1. We pass Wayne's ballot now in the "old" fashion - 7 days discussion, 7 days vote.  The change would then go into the "old" BRs so CAs can be assured they will be in compliance after Dec. 31.  I don't think there would be any criticism by regulators, etc. in doing this so long as we continue to move toward full compliance with our IPR Policy.

2. This week we also modify Ballot 180 to include Wayne's amendment - we treat this change as part of the 7 day discussion period that is currently underway.  In this way, the new language will be adopted in accordance with our IPR Policy, and there will be no gaps.


-----Original Message-----
From: Gervase Markham [mailto:gerv at mozilla.org] 
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:42 AM
To: Kirk Hall <Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com>; public at cabforum.org
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] Allowing SHA-1 OCSP and CRL signatures past 2016

On 26/10/16 01:26, Kirk Hall via Public wrote:
> I think we can treat this as a Maintenance Guideline to Sec. 7.1.3 of 
> the BRs because we need to complete the adoption process by December 
> 31.

As Ryan comments, I think this is unwise. May I propose the alternative solution of each root program agreeing that this change is reasonable?
You already have the assent of Mozilla, Google and (implicitly) Microsoft.

We can then pass a ballot after the IPR situation is sorted out but have it apply retrospectively.

Hopefully between those two things, we shouldn't have a significant problem.


More information about the Public mailing list