[cabfpub] Ballot process ordering

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Wed Nov 2 15:14:03 UTC 2016

This is my understanding of the current controversy regarding the
balloting process. I'm sure it is incomplete. Can people make
corrections and additions until it's accurate and everyone can
understand where the disagreement lies and what the arguments are for
each position?

Position 1
----------

This position states that the order of events should be:

1) Ballot Formulation
2) Optional Straw Poll
3) Discussion Period*
4) IPR Review Period
5) Voting Period
6) "Approval"

* May be before, after or during IPR review but must be before voting

The proponents of this position make the following points:

A) "Prior to the approval of a CAB Forum Draft Guideline as a CAB Forum
Final Guideline, there shall be..." in IPR Policy section 4.1 means
"Before a CAB Forum Draft Guideline is voted on (the Forum's stamp of
'approval' which makes it a CAB Forum Final Guideline), there shall
be...".

B) ...

Position 2
----------

This position states that the order of events should be:

1) Ballot Formulation
2) Discussion Period
3) Voting Period
4) IPR Review Period
5) "Approval"

The proponents of this position make the following points:

J) This is what we have always done historically.

K) "Prior to the approval of a CAB Forum Draft Guideline as a CAB Forum
Final Guideline, there shall be..." in IPR Policy section 4.1 means
"Before a CAB Forum Draft Guideline can be approved as a CAB Forum Final
Guideline (which is the final step in the process), there shall be...".

L) ...

Gerv