[cabfpub] Bylaw correction pre-ballot

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrust.com
Mon Jul 11 22:46:56 UTC 2016

For some time I have been thinking about proposing a Bylaws addition that allows for "Consent Ballots", just as corporations and LLCs have.

I don't have specific language right now, but basically this would allow the Chair (and/or Vice-Chair?) to propose a "Consent Ballot" (or similar name) reserved only for minor matters such as typos or obvious errors,  acceptance of new CABF members after discussion of an application in a Forum call (right now we just accept by consensus on the call), renumbering sections, etc.  A Consent Ballot would be posted to the Public list, and any single Member could object in [7? 10?] days.  If there is an objection, the matter would have to start again via a regular Ballot method - two endorsers, one week review, one week for voting, etc.  If there is no objection during the time limit, the change would be made.  (Or after clarification, maybe a new Consent Ballot could be started if justified.)  Consent Ballots would be clearly marked as such in the Subject line - and maybe we send two deadline reminders before the period to object expires.

A Member could object to use of the Consent Ballot for any reason (no reason need be given), including feeling that discussion or clarification was needed - it would not necessarily mean opposition to the proposal, and a Member who objects to a Consent Ballot might very well end up voting in support in a regular Ballot.

The main reason for adding a Consent Ballot process is so we don't waste time (two weeks) and clutter up our Ballot record with minor stuff which doesn't really need a full Ballot.

Comments?