[cabfpub] Misissuance of certificates

Dean Coclin Dean_Coclin at symantec.com
Thu Jan 21 03:24:38 UTC 2016

I received some additional information below on this specific issue:

The issue was that some certs have information as part of the CN which probably shouldn't be public -- in the HMRC cases, it's a tax-related ID number specific to a given company, which probably ought to be private between that company and the tax offices. But they need certs including that number to exchange information with the tax offices. (Arguably that's a poorly designed system but that's something to take up with HMRC -- the UK tax office)

At one time, there was a suggestion that it would be okay to redact the CN back to the domain itself rather than publishing the full CN in cases of misissuance. That would certainly solve the problem in this case.  If this was the resolution that you were thinking about Gerv and if it's still in play, then perhaps you are right and it is solved.

Dean