[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot 169: Revised Validation Requirements

Peter Bowen pzb at amzn.com
Fri Apr 29 23:14:28 UTC 2016

Jeremy,

I’ve found a possible vulnerability with 3.2.2.4.6. Agreed-Upon Change to Website.  If the Random Value or Request Token is contained in the URI path, then certain websites will return it in the meta tag of the resulting page.  The pattern I found on a real website is:

Request http://www.example.com/.well-known/pki-validation/06ca919e1b1cf100e97fc2215c036a8c817f4443aa0afe5ca1a63db973a09e4b
Returns 301 with Location: /search?q=.well-known%2Fpki-validation%2F06ca919e1b1cf100e97fc2215c036a8c817f4443aa0afe5ca1a63db973a09e4b
Request http://www.example.com/search?q=.well-known%2Fpki-validation%2F06ca919e1b1cf100e97fc2215c036a8c817f4443aa0afe5ca1a63db973a09e4b
Returns 200 with a page containing:

I think this method needs to be updated to preclude the CA from using a URL containing the Random Value or Request Token.

Thanks,
Peter