[cabfpub] Ballot 168: Baseline Requirements Corrections (Revised)

Peter Bowen pzb at amzn.com
Fri Apr 29 01:10:18 UTC 2016

Dean,

Addressing those two items:

The term “Sovereign State” is already defined in the BRs, however it was unused.  The only other place where “sovereign” appears in the BRs in the definition of Country, so the change was made to reference the defined term.

As to the changes regarding “Terms of Use”, I’m sure one of our resident lawyers can explain this better, but my understanding is that an entity cannot make an agreement with itself.  The BRs clearly already contemplate this by creating two classes of subscribers: those unaffiliated who have a “Subscriber Agreement” and those affiliated who have “Terms of Use”.  This change was made somewhere around Draft 38 of the BRs.[1]  Given this, it makes no sense to have an affiliate “agree” to something when it is already acknowledged that an “Agreement” is not the proper instrument.

I hope that this makes sense.

Thanks,
Peter

[1] The mailing list archiver does not appear to properly archive signed emails in S/MIME format, so I cannot be entirely sure of when it came in, as many of the messages from that era have no archived text.