[cabfpub] Ballots 154 and 155 - Convert to RFC 3647 Framework and GitHub

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed Nov 4 02:42:11 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 5:40 PM, kirk_hall at trendmicro.com <
kirk_hall at trendmicro.com> wrote:

> Actually, Ryan, no – my concerns were not addressed, the were basically
> overlooked and never resolved.  They remain the same.

Kirk,

I'm truly sorry you feel your concerns were overlooked. As I attempted to
do in my previous email, I've repeatedly tried to respond to each of your
concerns and provide evidence as to why it doesn't need to be a concern.

> I have no problem if someone (Ben?) wants to maintain the “official”
> version of these documents in GitHub, but these documents are also used by
> many (non-technical) people in our organizations and around the world.  So
> as a practical matter, they must also be available in open standard formats
> such as pdf and .doc.

I do want to make sure you're feeling heard - but at the same time, I'm not
sure how useful it is to keep raising up the same points and having them
answered.

As was explained in Zurich, and Istanbul, and in person - yes, a .doc and
.pdf document can be automatically created on the passing of every ballot.

Even without this automation, the production of a .pdf and .doc is an
entirely independent concern from the RFC 3647 conversion *or* the Github
transition. Or, put differently, nothing presently guaranteed by the Bylaws
changes.

The repeated theme of your concerns, and if this isn't correct, this may
explain the miscommunication, is:
1) Does this take away anything you currently enjoy with the informal,
ad-hoc process employed by the Forum and the gracious time spent by Ben?
2) Does this require you to do anything different with how you propose
ballots?
3) Does this require you to do anything different with how you discuss
ballots?

The answer for each of these questions is "No", at least for all the
concerns you've raised (and again, appreciate you raising them on the list,
so that we've got something concrete and w/o requiring translation by the
person taking the minutes)

Hopefully that allays your immediate concerns, but also helps understand
the context of why I'm highlighting that what you've requested to add to
the Ballot is entirely new - it's not a preservation of existing behaviour
or of the conduct prescribed by our Bylaws. However, that shouldn't take
away the meat of this message - which is that none of this changes what you
need to do.

Cheers,
Ryan