[cabfpub] Domain Validation Revision

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Mon Feb 16 21:57:33 UTC 2015

Gerv -- we always allowed attorney letters in the past.

For DV/OV, it was an "any other method" means of domain confirmation.

For EV, it was explicitly allowed under the EVGL (and there are still references to it in the template Attorney Letter attached to the EVGL), but by mistake we deleted the reference when we changed EVGL 11.7 simply to a cross reference to BR 11.1.1 – we accidentally dropped the old reference to using attorney-accountant letters for EV domain confirmation (I can give you a version number reference to the old EVGL if you want to confirm).

So the proposal just corrects that mistake and adds back in a method we have always permitted for domain confirmation.

This is useful when the Domain Name Registrant has licensed the domain to the Customer, or when the parent-sub relationship is not reported correctly, etc.