[cabfpub] Ballot .onion ballot

Eddy Nigg eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Thu Feb 5 17:44:49 UTC 2015

On 02/05/2015 04:26 PM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> I'm not the person who argued for a restriction on *.facebook.com EV

I too might be wrong on this, but according to my memory I recall that
you were the person arguing against it when we discussed it last time
when we created the BR. :-)

IIRC Wayne from Godaddy argued (correctly) that if wild cards should be
restricted it would make most sense to have it supported by EV since
it's the strongest verification standard currently. EV allows to include
domain names of third parties (in my opinion incorrectly), so adding
wild cards doesn't change that in any way really.

We would be in favor for such a move and believe that wild cards have
nothing lost in the non-verified (e.g. DV) settings due to their
potential abuse. If at all, wild cards should be permitted with EV and
prohibited for DV (if you want anything else than EV).

--
Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO