[cabfpub] LV Certificates - Counterproposal

Phillip Hallam-Baker philliph at comodo.com
Mon Dec 21 08:24:24 MST 2015

+1

If we are serious about Internet security we have to be very careful about making and changing decisions. I thought the original schedule to deprecate SHA-1 something of an over-reaction. Had my advice been taken, deployment of SHA-2 would have begun much earlier than it did and with an upgrade path that allowed for a less disruptive introduction. But the decisions were made and we told the Internet world what they are. We should not change them without an exceptionally good reason that wasn’t known at the time they were taken.

A lot of customers have made the switch at significant expense to them. Today is the winter solstice. We are already at years end as far as regular business goes.

Rather than making this change, I suggest that the browser vendors begin deploying SHA3 code in the browsers so that we don’t get into the same situation again should SHA2 become a matter of concern.