[cabfpub] Concerns with the proposal for LV certificates

Sigbjørn Vik sigbjorn at opera.com
Fri Dec 11 03:57:31 MST 2015

CloudFlare states that 1.69% of users do not use browsers which support
SHA-2, Facebook that up to 7% don't. During 2016 sites will gradually
stop working in those browsers, and those users will be forced to
upgrade to more secure browsers. This is a good thing, and something we
want to encourage.

For Windows XP SP2 and older, there are e.g. Firefox, Chrome and Opera
which all support SHA-2. For the vast majority of phones, there is e.g.
Opera Mini. All of these are free.

The question is not how many browsers do not support SHA-2, but how many
devices do not support SHA-2 browsers.

--
Sigbjørn Vik
Opera Software