[cabfpub] Ballot to establish voting process for chair and vice chair

Jeremy.Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Thu Sep 25 14:24:26 MST 2014

Thanks Rick.  I forgot that Members covers three classes of Members.  It
should only apply to "Forum Members".  There is also a question of what
happens if a vote to confirm the Chair or Vice Chair fails or whether we
should require a Forum vote to confirm appointment.  Right now it's
potentially easier to be appointed when running against another nominee
than if you are a single candidate. A contested election only requires a
plurality of votes while confirmation of a single nominee requires a
vote of 2/3 of CAs and 1/2 of browsers after meeting quorum
requirements.  Are we okay with that?

I don't think we need to worry about a situation where both the chair
and vice chair are vacant.  That's an unlikely event and one that we can
resolve through a ballot when if it ever happens.

A couple of other suggestions were received about the results. I've
updated it below:

Here’s a draft ballot capturing what we discussed in Beijing for the
upcoming chair election.  I look forward to your comments.

---------

Ballot 136 – Chair Election

Amendment to Section 4.1 of CA/Browser Forum Bylaws to Clarify Election
Process for Chair and Vice Chair

Motion Begins

The third paragraph of section 4.1 of the CA/Browser Forum’s bylaws is
amended as follows:

…

Upon expiration or early termination of the current Chair’s term, the
Vice Chair will automatically be nominated _as _to become the next
Chair, but _Forum _Members may nominate themselves or others to be
additional candidates as Chair. _On or before the second week of a
position’s vacancy, the Chair or Vice Chair will announce, through the
management mailing list, a start date and close date for nominations for
Chair and Vice Chair, with the nomination period lasting at least one
week. If a single individual is nominated for a position, the Forum will
hold a regular ballot to confirm appointment of the nominee. If more
than one candidate is nominated for Chair or Vice Chair, the Forum will
announce an election ballot to determine which candidate will fill the
position. _upon close of nominations, _Within two weeks after the close
of the nomination period, the Chair or Vice Chair will establish an
election committee and announce the election ballot on the management
mailing list along with the ballot start date, ballot end date, and a
description of the voting process.  The Chair or Vice Chair will appoint
the election committee by selecting at least two volunteers who have a
reputation for independence, preferably individuals without voting
rights in the Forum and that participate as Interested Parties.  The
election committee is responsible solely for tallying Forum Member votes
in connection with the election ballot. The description must include the
email address(es) where members will send their vote, which should be
the email addresses of the election committee. _ballot will be held in
the regular manner to _s_elect the new Chair. If the election of a new
Chair means the office of Vice Chair becomes vacant, the Members may
nominate themselves or other candidates to the office of Vice Chair, and
a ballot will be held in the regular manner to elect the new Vice Chair.

_For election ballots, each Forum Member is entitled to a single vote
regardless of the number of participating Forum Member representatives
or whether the Forum Member is categorized as a CA or product supplier.
If multiple votes are received from a Forum Member’s representatives,
the last vote submitted during the voting period is considered the Forum
Member’s vote. Within two weeks after the election ballot closes, the
election committee will compile the votes, ensure that only one vote is
counted per Forum Member, confirm the results with other members of the
election committee, and publish the ballot results by sending an email
to the management list. ___The election committee will not include any
votes submitted before or after the voting period when compile the
votes. _The ballot results email will contain only the following
information:  a short description of the ballot purpose, the total
number of votes submitted during the ballot period, and the name of the
nominee receiving the most votes. The election committee may include
other language as necessary to accurately describe the ballot and any
concerns the election committee had with the ballot provided that such
language does not disclose how individual Forum Members voted.  The
election committee will treat the votes of individual Forum Members as
confidential information.  The nominee receiving the most votes is
appointed to the applicable position, regardless of the number  of votes
cast and irrespective of whether 2/3 of the CAs or ½ of the product
suppliers voted for the nominee. If the election ballot results in a
tie, the Chair or Vice Chair will hold another election ballot that
includes only the tying nominees. _

…

Motion Ends

The review period for this ballot shall commence at 2200 UTC
on                    2014, and will close at 2200 UTC
on                     2014. Unless the motion is withdrawn during the
review period, the voting period will start immediately thereafter and
will close at 2200 UTC on                        2014. Votes must be
cast by posting an on-list reply to this thread.

A vote in favor of the motion must indicate a clear 'yes' in the
response. A vote against must indicate a clear 'no' in the response. A
vote to abstain must indicate a clear 'abstain' in the response. Unclear
representative of a voting member before the close of the voting period
will be counted. Voting members are listed here:
https://cabforum.org/members/

In order for the motion to be adopted, two thirds or more of the votes
cast by members in the CA category and greater than 50% of the votes
cast by members in the browser category must be in favor. Also, at least
seven members must participate in the ballot, either by voting in favor,
voting against, or abstaining.