[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot - Short-Life Certificates

Wayne Thayer wthayer at godaddy.com
Fri Oct 31 15:28:03 MST 2014

I agree with many of these benefits. I agree that technically short-lived certs are equivalent to current forms of revocation. I agree that the Forum should act to enable them. But I don't like the approach that's been proposed.

Currently, CAs are responsible for publishing revocation information and browsers are responsible for deciding what to do with it (sometimes making decisions that many CAs don't like, but I digress). I feel that this is the correct approach and one that completely compatible with short-lived certs.

If the Forum defines what a short lived cert is (max validity), then browsers can implement the logic to consciously ignore revocation information. Modern browsers with auto-update mechanisms can deploy this change rapidly. Clients that prefer not to support short-lived certs can also choose to continue to check revocation info. The proposed approach is a hack based on the fact that browsers can't reliably fail when presented with certs that don't contain any revocation info.

Wayne