[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot - Short-Life Certificates

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Wed Oct 29 11:10:11 MST 2014

Gerv,

I was under the (apparently false) impression that if certificates did not have AIA information then browsers would display a warning or error message to the user.  You answered Kirk with a statement "no browser I know of today, in its default configuration, will refuse to accept a cert for the reason that it contains no revocation pointers ".  If this is generally believed to be true, then I withdraw my recommendation around tagging these certificates with unique identifiers.

I just find it hard to swallow that all browsers accept SSL certificates without an AIA/CDP as valid.  I acknowledge that they are non-compliant with the BRs and the CA will get a beating.  It just seems irresponsible to accept certs like this as completely valid.  But, apparently (some) browsers don’t use the AIA to check the status of certificates when present either.  Somebody is using AIA because we provide terabytes of data every month to support revocation checking.

Are we SURE that removing AIA won't adversely impact site operators' customers, whoever they are?

Doug