[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot - Short-Life Certificates

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Fri Oct 24 14:16:45 MST 2014

I realize the conversation has gone way afield of this, but I wanted to follow up.

I think that any CA that pre-issues a year's worth of short-lived certs and delivers them to the customer as a block completely misunderstands the concept of short-lived certs. In cases in which the site owner is found to have misrepresented information that the CA put into the cert, or perhaps when the site owner hasn't paid for the cert, the CA's response is to stop issuing new certs to that site owner, starting today. They won't be able to do that if they've pre-issued and delivered all the certs.

If this isn't obvious, then we'll need to spell it out in detail in the BRs, if/when we modify the BRs for short-lived certs.

-Rick