[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot - Short-Life Certificates

Rich Smith richard.smith at comodo.com
Fri Oct 24 12:08:53 MST 2014

The operative word here is 'can'.  There will not be an active attacker
in all cases, there just MIGHT be.  This is down to a battle of MIGHTS.
Your MIGHT is that every user will face someone serving up a stapled
Good response.  My MIGHT is that not every bad actor is going to serve
up those stapled Good responses, so my revocation of the certificate
helps those who encounter the site for the first time after the cert has
been revoked.

Operating according to your MIGHT leaves every user vulnerable to a bad
actor for the duration of the certificate life.  Operating according to
mine offers a chance that some of those users won't be victimized.  I'll
take mine.

And at this point, I think we're just going around in circles. There are
no new arguments here, so I remain opposed to removal of revocation
pointers, and those in favor remain in favor.  Unless someone has any
new points to make I don't think any of us who have spoken up thus far
are going to change our minds on this.

-Rich