[cabfpub] BR Errata on DSA

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Thu Oct 23 15:17:52 MST 2014

I noticed a few errata in the BRs concerning DSA. In Appendix A, there's a footnote explaining what L and N are, and referring to the FIPS document in which they're defined. Three issues:
1)      The footnote portion describing L and N should probably be in its own footnote, since it applies to DSA. But currently, it's at the end of a footnote describing RSA.
2)      The specification of DSA requirements in all three tables seems to consist of "L= 2048, N= 224 or L= 2048, N= 256" twice. What I intended was to say "L= 2048, N= 224 or L= 2048" only once.
3)      The reference to the FIPS document is out of date:

"L and N (the bit lengths of modulus p and divisor q, respectively) are described in the Digital Signature Standard, FIPS 186-3
(http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips186-3/fips_186-3.pdf)."

I suggest that the above sentence be changed to

"L and N (the bit lengths of modulus p and divisor q, respectively) are described in the Digital Signature Standard, FIPS 186-4
(http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/FIPS/NIST.FIPS.186-4.pdf)."

It appears that all these errata were present from version 1.1.4. Attached is the old doc I was working from that indicates how I thought the Appendix should appear. Apologies for not catching this sooner.

-Rick