[cabfpub] Ballot 133 - Insurance Requirements for EV Issuers

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Oct 9 01:33:06 MST 2014

On 09/10/14 06:32, Ben Wilson wrote:
> Any lawyer would challenge the validity of the CP/CPS disclaimer on the
> basis of inadequate notice.

If that's true then it sounds to me that such disclaimers, if they have
any effect at all, simply have a chilling effect on otherwise-valid
litigation. So perhaps we should have a ballot to ban CAs from
disclaiming liability in their CP/CPSes? That would surely bring much
more trust to the CA infrastructure than fiddling with the insurance
requirements, because it would demonstrate that CAs are willing to pay
out when they screw up.

Gerv