[cabfpub] Ballot 133 - Insurance Requirements for EV Issuers

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Oct 2 12:47:01 MST 2014

Note that I have no objections to the current wording in spirit, although
as noted in the past, the notion of insurance requirements doesn't really
align as a practical or technical matter.

For example, the insurance required in (A) does not cover any security
impact/chemspills that might be caused by the destruction of an HSM
responsible for CRL signing. At best, this falls under the "SHOULD maintain
coverage", but figuring out what impact or liability there is for such an
incident is a game that lawyers and insurers would love to pad their
billables with, but without making much of a practical difference.

There is equally a huge number of mistakes a CA can make - such as
accidentally revoking a certificate that may take a company offline or
prevent code signing from working - that would not even begin to be covered.

It's likely we'd abstain from such a ballot as presented, or support such a
ballot that removed the requirement.