[cabfpub] CT Precertificates and the BRs

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue Jan 14 19:10:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Rick Andrews <Rick_Andrews at symantec.com>wrote:

> [...]

Rick,

I think we need to be *very* careful on how much we allow legacy to hold us
back, and under what situations. There's a tricky balance between
valid-but-undesirable behaviours (such as accepting hostnames in CNs) and
out-and-out buggy behaviour (such as mishandling critical extensions).

Applications that fail to implement critical extension handling have almost
certainly botched many other elements of the certificate processing, so I
don't think we should let them be the lower bar. I also have no doubt
they're in the vast minority of SSL/TLS users - and, if not, then by God
they should be, with security like that...