[cabfpub] Ballot 108: Clarifying the scope of the baseline requirements

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Fri Jul 26 19:34:32 UTC 2013

Jeremy,

If I might suggest a slight modification to the wording, which still
leaves things a little ambiguous. "All root and intermediate
certificates included in a browser's trust store" - AIUI, none of the
browsers are really accepting intermediates to the trust store at this
point.

This was a sticky point when working on Mozilla's wording on this
policy to. Luckily, the terminology for "Root CA" and "Subordinate CA"
may be sufficient here to help clarify.

"All root certificates included in a browser's trust store, all
subordinate CA certificates signed by one of these root certificates,
and all end-entity certificates that either lack any Extended Key
Usage extension or contain an Extended Key Usage extension that
contains one of the following:
- Server Authentication (1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1)
- anyExtendedKeyUsage (2.5.29.37.0)
- Netscape Server Gated Cryptography (2.16.840.1.113730.4.1)
- Microsoft Server Gated Cryptography (1.3.6.1.4.1.311.10.3.3)
are expressly covered by these requirements."

Note that Appendix B, 3.F lists other values as SHOULD NOT. However,
that presumably only applies when a certificate is 'in scope' of the
BRs, hence the restatement of potential EKUs that are relevant.