[cabfpub] Ballot 106 - Extended deadline to prohibit OCSP good response for non-issued certificates

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Tue Jul 23 21:25:57 UTC 2013

On 23/07/13 21:42, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
<snip>
> If the event this ballot fails, if there are CAs that fall out of BR
> compliance, then as a root store, we'd be looking at a number of
> actions to take in response, including not granting any special
> indicators that users associate with higher security, such as EV.

Ryan,

Unless Google have backtracked and I missed it, Chrome only uses OCSP
when the TLS server sends a Stapled OCSP Response.  So in the (majority)
case of lack of support for OCSP Stapling by TLS Servers, Chrome won't
check OCSP _at all_.

So I'm puzzled.  Why would you remove EV indicators due to non-compliant
OCSP in the many cases where you're not actually relying on OCSP at all?

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.