[cabfpub] August 1st Deadline for No "Good" Reponse to Non-Issued Certificate

Yngve N. Pettersen yngve at spec-work.net
Fri Jul 19 22:20:28 UTC 2013

As I believe I said earlier about this: That a specific mitigation can't
fix every possible scenario should not be held against it as a complete
show stopper. No mitigation can stop every conceivable attack vector.

The duplicate serial number means one of two things: 1) the signing system
allow arbitrary serial numbers, or 2) the signing key itself is
compromised.

Case 1: I have no idea how serial numbers are generated in the CA systems,
but I think that they should not be under the control of the requesting
agent, but generated automatically when the certificate is signed. In any
case this require separate mitigation techniques.

Case 2: In that scenario the signing key and certificate must be revoked.

The timing factor depends upon when the customer gets access to the
certificate. Also, the only OCSP responder that actually needs the
information immediately is the fallback responder.

Additionally, beside making the responses from the OCSP responder more
thrustworthy, such a mitigation step ensures that the attacker will have
to jump through more hoops, control more of the system, and thus increases
the chance that he will trigger alarms (and as I understand it, during the
DigiNotar incident, the attacker tripped numerous alarms, and the people
at DigiNotar did revoke many certificates, until the attacker disabled the
logging mechanisms that the adminstrators used to track the attackers
activities. As mentioned, the intent of this mitigating step is to stop
that particular attack method, and to bring the meaning of the OCSP
mean "I know nothing bad about this certificate, in fact, I am not sure I
know whether it exists or not") and a more secure meaning of the responses.

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen