[cabfpub] Ballot 104: Domain verification for EV certificates

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Mon Jul 8 14:51:07 UTC 2013

On 07/04/2013 07:49 PM, From Jeremy Rowley:

> As a reminder – voting on this ballot is underway.  Voting ends on
> Tuesday the 9^th .  Please remember to vote before then.

Assuming that I'm reading the proposed changes correctly, this ballot
means that we could easily see in the future EV certificates for
microsoft.com or paypal.com under the name of "SomeISP, Inc.".

I believe this defeats the purpose of a higher validation standard which
EV was originally meant to be including the added benefit for visitors
to the relevant web sites - even though implementations by browser
vendors are not subject to any standard, nevertheless the organization
names are prominently listed in the browser bar with most.

Under this assumption I believe this proposal doesn't serve the
interests of the relying parties well and StartCom votes NO.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
XMPP: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>