[cabfpub] Ballot 96 - Wildcard Certificates and New gTLDs

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Fri Feb 15 12:06:45 MST 2013

On 02/05/2013 11:39 PM, From Jeremy Rowley:
> Jeremy Rowley made the following motion, and Rick Andrews and Steve
> Roylance endorsed it:

StartCom votes NO.

Explanation - the proposed change regarding the wild cards is redundant
since the CA is required to confirm a domain control or ownership of the
relevant domain name. Since no *.com validation should be possible, the
proposed safeguards are redundant and not necessary.

Regarding the proposed change in respect to new generic TLDs, since no
domain control validation could have been performed by the CA in the
past for any non-existing TLD, we believe certificates containing such
non-existing TLDs shouldn't be issued in first place. Also such
certificates will be disallowed in the future according to the BR itself
and we believe that this practice should have been abolished in the past
already.

We don't think it's wise to give any exclusions at all and this process
and proposed change to the BR is suspect to be prone to failures and
mistakes. Therefore we cannot support this ballot.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
XMPP: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>