[cabfpub] Underscore Characters in SANs

Robin Alden robin at comodo.com
Mon Aug 12 13:22:01 UTC 2013

Hi Wayne,

                I don’t think there’s a need for us (CAs) to ban the use
of underscores in dnsNames in certificates.

Comodo has issued certificates including RFC2782 format names, e.g.:

_sip._tls.xxxxxxx.com

We have also issued certificates including dnsNames which are probably
not (intended to be) internet routable, such as:

m_staging9.xxxxxxx.com

In both cases the certificates can be validated using the usual
automated DCV process for xxxxxxx.com

I have to say the numbers of such certificates we see is vanishingly
small.

Regards

Robin