[cabfpub] Concerns regarding Mozilla Root Program/Baseline Requirements

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Wed Aug 7 05:50:09 UTC 2013

Just because you (and others) may have had an *undisclosed* expectation about something, and I (and others) had an opposite *undisclosed* expectation about the same thing relating to initial adoption of the BRs doesn’t make any of us liars.

In the future, if anyone thinks some new CA/Browser Forum requirement is meant to be retroactive (i.e., will apply to certificates already issued or to agreements made before the effective date of the new requirement) – please speak up, as that’s a big expectation to have, and many may oppose it.

I can say that the only explicit requirement included in the initial BRs about maximum validity period for certs is BR 9.4 – and by its terms, it clearly does not apply to certs issued or agreements made before the effective date of the BRs.

I can also say that in the future, Trend Micro is likely to oppose any new requirements that are explicitly intended to be retroactive and would require a CA to revoke outstanding certs and/or breach existing agreements with customers, unless there is an extraordinary, proven, and immediate security threat – and the issue currently under current discussion doesn’t meet that test.