[cabfpub] Concerns regarding Mozilla Root Program/Baseline Requirements

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Tue Aug 6 15:06:24 UTC 2013

On 08/06/2013 05:22 PM, From kirk_hall at trendmicro.com:

> Eddy, I don’t remember any discussion about revoking pre-Baseline
> Requirement certs that had validity periods longer than 60 months (or
> 39 months).

I'm sure about it, not sure if you already participated then. Tim,
Wayne, Gerv and some others including myself were attending and this was
an issue hotly debated with Wayne the opponent for a shorter validity
period and earlier implementation of the requirement. In the end what we
agreed was put into the BR.

> The only discussion I recall related to new validity period rules to
> apply to NEW certs issued AFTER the effective date of the BRs – which
> resulted in BR 9.4 below.  And I don’t remember any discussion about
> limiting re-keying certs that had been issued before the BRs become
> effective – I don’t think CAs would have agreed to that because it
> would have put them in breach of contract with their existing
> customers as to existing certs.

If you'd really have that problem I suggest to fire your lawyers and get
better ones. However I'm pretty sure that this isn't a legal issue and
Godaddy will not have any problems with their contracts and subscriber
agreements. There can be also other "creative" options for such clients
who love to pay upfront for a long period...but that's out of the scope
for this forum.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>