[cabfpub] Underscore Characters in SANs

Wayne Thayer wthayer at godaddy.com
Wed Aug 7 04:47:04 UTC 2013

Can anyone tell me if there is a reason not to allow an underscore (_) character in a DNSName SAN field?  From what I can tell, a DNSName can contain this character, and I can do DNS queries that return public FQDNs in the format "a_b.domain.tld".  A host name does not permit this character, so it may not work properly in a browser, but from what I can tell, some other type of service using SSL should be able to leverage an SSL certificate with this character in the SAN.

Thanks,

Wayne