[cabfpub] Ballot 92 reviewed

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Sat Oct 27 00:30:01 UTC 2012

Jeremy, I know Ballot 92 has been withdrawn, but I expect it will be reintroduced - so we may as well continue the conversation.

Concerning your proposed changes to Sec. 9.2.1 outlawing DV SANs certs, I am still puzzled about what security threat is being addressed.  In your email below, you listed a hypothetical 12 names that could be included in the SANs field of a single DV cert (so long as the customer has demonstrated domain control for each of the 12 names).

Are you saying this single DV SANs cert with 12 names inside (all of which have passed the domain control test with the customer) represents a greater security threat than if the same customer had ordered 12 separate DV certs, each with only one name inside, and had proved domain control for each of the 12 names?  In what way does the DV SANs cert with 12 names inside represent a greater security threat than 12 individual DV certs issued to the same customer?  (I don't believe it does.)  We have to consider the convenience of the customer, and not put artificial barriers or unnecessary extra expense in the way.

You also talk about the need for one of the 12 names to go through the OV vetting process so there is an identified "responsible party" inside the cert (does that make it an OV cert then?  The CA issuer knows that 11 names have not been OV vetted...).  But I think that would be very misleading to Relying Parties - If they look inside the cert with 12 names in the SANs field, and they see an OV-vetted entity's identity listed in the cert, they will probably assume that ALL 12 NAMES in the cert have been OV vetted, and that all 12 names belong to the one entity that is listed in the cert.  But only one domain name was OV vetted, and the remaining 11 were only DV vetted.  That would be terribly misleading to the public, and a bad idea.

We don't issue DV certs, and have no plans to do so, but we strongly oppose any new effort to deprecate DV certs using the Forum's powers to set requirements for CAs.  I hope you will drop this from Ballot 92, or else the other provisions of the ballot (some of which we support) will possibly fail as well.