[cabfpub] Draft Ballot re: participation of standards-setting, auditing, and regulatory body representatives

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Oct 19 12:41:33 UTC 2012

On 19/10/12 12:34, Robin Alden wrote:
> Hi Gerv,
> 	Although this isn't really my area of expertise, surely people
> sign the IPR in some particular capacity.
> If they are representing more than one organization then they need to
> sign (or to be excused from signing) the IPR in each capacity in which
> they act.
> https://www.cabforum.org/IPR_Agreement_V1.pdf

A fair point, indeed.

My proposed solution for people who wear two hats (one of which would
need an IPR signature and one of which wouldn't) is to ask them to join
with their IPR-signing hat - in other words, for their company to become
a member. Then they can do both jobs once inside.

> The assumed difference between the nature of the contributions made by a
> standards or regulatory body and the contributions made by us mere
> mortals (CAs and Browsers and other Interested Parties) is that we have
> 'tricks of the trade' that we might (or might not) have IP protection
> over and which we might (or might not) want to have incorporated into
> Guideline - whereas the standards or regulatory body does not have
> tricks of the same trade.

Most of the time that's true; but I'm not sure you can ask Tim (to
continue to use him as our hypothetical example) to forget everything he
knows about Entrust while representing this standards body.

Gerv