[cabfpub] New proposed text for BR 1.1 issues 15 and 29

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Oct 1 08:25:37 UTC 2012

On 28/09/12 21:31, Rich Smith wrote:
> Rob can probably better answer how we deal with them.  I know we do
> parse the xn--xxxxxxx into readable form and stop them all for human
> review so that we can keep an eye out for blatant attack domains, but
> the technical end of it is not my forte.  I'm just concerned that
> whoever came up with the two different standards already screwed up by
> not make 2008 backward compatible w/2003,

Sadly, in this case, fixing bugs which various language communities
considered vital, and backwards compatibility were not, er, compatible aims.

You could argue that the mistake was made when the first version of IDNA
was tied to a specific revision of Unicode. However, blame allocation is
probably unhelpful at this point :-)

Gerv