[cabfperf] Recommended Max Number of SANs in a Certificate

Yngve N. Pettersen yngve at spec-work.net
Thu May 15 19:19:32 MST 2014

Hello all,

I took a quick look in my TLS Prober database, which contain about 3
million certs collected in the past 4 years or so. The sample set is
biased toward Alexa top million sites, about 500K servers sampled in each
scan.

The highest number of SAN entries in a certificate in my list was 1108,
most (that have any) have less than 25 (99% of those with SAN entries; 90%
have 1 or 2 entries, 95% have 5 or less). (2/3 of the sample did not have
SAN entries, and was not counted). I'll note though that there are
probably going to be few servers that require a lot of names in a
certificate, and those would not change the numbers much.

The longest name entry was 81 characters, almost all are less than 50
characters and the majority (85%) less than 25 characters long.

The longest concatenated string length of a SAN section was ~18K, most
less than 100 characters.

Almost all subject DNs are 500 bytes or less, the majority (3/4) is 200
bytes or less. There are 160 in the sample with length of 10-20KB

The majority (7/10) of certificates are between 1000 and 2000 bytes long,
with most of the rest (less than 3/10) being 500-1000 bytes (This does
include non-CA issued certificates). About 1500 certs are 10 or more, one
was 50+KB

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen