[cabfperf] Recommended Max Number of SANs in a Certificate

Ryan Hurst ryan.hurst at globalsign.com
Thu May 1 10:29:40 MST 2014

I don't think making a recommendation for setting a maximum number of SANs is really appropriate. At least in the context of performance.

What's important when thinking about the size of the certificate is not the size of the certificate itself but how much other data is being sent in the TLS exchange.

25 SANs may very well be fine in one case and be a problem in another.

It's also highly dependent on the length of the domain names themselves.

I would add that the complexity of the certificate chain has a much larger impact then additional SANs; for example including one intermediate will add it least a K.

Ryan Hurst

Sent from my phone, please forgive the brevity.