[cabfperf] Recommended Max Number of SANs in a Certificate

Wayne Thayer wthayer at godaddy.com
Thu May 1 09:55:52 MST 2014

Certificates with dozens of SAN entries have become common, in part due to the popularity of CDNs that use these certs to conserve scarce IPv4 addresses. This data can increase the size of the certificate by 25% or more. Should we recommend a maximum number of SANs in a certificate? If so, what should that number be? Or should we look at the total size of the certificate rather than individual fields?

Thanks,

Wayne